2015-2016 ABTA Master Point Press Teacher of The Year
*Student Requirements for Submission:
- You must have your teacher's permission for nomination.
- Only individual teachers are eligible for nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted by a single person, additional students may sign on to the nomination form as "supporting nominators"
- No previous winner is eligible for a second award, but previous nominees may be nominated again, in future years
- The nominated teacher must meet all eligibility criteria (below)
- Maximum 8 nomination forms per teacher
In order to be considered for the Teacher of the Year award, each nominee must:
- Have been a bridge teacher for at least 5 years
- Be a member of the ACBL OR ABA • Be a member of ABTA or prepared to join the ABTA if nominated
- Teach a minimum of 75 hours per year (e.g. 2 hours a week for 38 weeks or 3 hours a week for 25 weeks) etc.
Teacher Eligibility Criteria for Teacher of the Year Award
Teachers will be considered with a focus on the following qualities (detailed description below)
- Teaching excellence 55%
- Innovation 25%
- Service to bridge 15%
- Service to the community 5%
A. Teaching excellence (55%)
- student response or recommendations
- percentage of students who join organized bridge games
- quality of material used in courses especially personally developed material
- use of bridge material and reference material from published bridge authorities
- recommendation of other teachers or bridge professionals
- rationale provided by nominator(s)
- original written material used in teaching students
B. Innovation (25%) Demonstration of innovation associated with bridge teaching or bridge promotion including but not limited to:
- Bridge teaching methods
- Reaching out to youth
- Teaching seniors
- Teaching material
- Course content and approach
- Promotion of bridge
- Promotion of teacher
- Use of the Internet
C. Service to Bridge (15%) This will be based on evidence such as:
- promotion of bridge and their own services through newsletters, websites, columns in print media, TV, or internet
- role in organizing events for students but also for all players such as tournaments
- establishing or participating in programs to teach bridge to young people
- all attempts to build the bridge community, encourage participation in bridge games,
- tournaments, online and in person, membership in the ACBL or ABA
- mentoring including mentoring students or other teachers or directors
- building local bridge clubs and bridge games
- encouraging students to participate in bridge tournaments
- any and all efforts which will help to promote the game of bridge and/or the services of the teacher.
D. Service to the Community (5%)
- All volunteer activities but especially those related to bridge. This could include donating services in teaching or running games
- Organizing and participating in charitable events with a focus on those associated with bridge but other charity activities will be considered.
- All efforts associated with raising money for bridge (e.g. money for youth, international teams, promotion of bridge) etc.
- Any other demonstrable activities which help the community in which that person resides whether bridge related or not and whether paid or not.
Teacher of the Year 2015-‐2016 Committee: Larry Cohen, Barbara Seagram, Tina Radding, Mary Jane Orock, Kathie Walsh, Linda Lee, Nancy Abbott, Joyce Penn, Chairman.