ABTA Master Point Press Teacher of the year: 2015 Award
- Bridge teacher for at least 5 years
- A member of the ACBL OR ABA
- A member of ABTA or prepared to join the ABTA if nominated
- Must teach at least 75 hours a year (e.g. 2 hours a week for 38 weeks or 3 hours a week for 25 weeks) for compensation.
Criteria for Nomination
Teachers will be considered with a focus on the following:
- Teaching excellence
- Service to bridge
- Service to the community
A. Teaching excellence (50%)
- student response or recommendations
- percentage of students who join organized bridge games
- quality of material used in courses especially personally developed material
- recommendation of other teachers or bridge professionals
- rationale provided by nominator(s)
- original written material used in teaching students
B. Innovation (25%)
Demonstration of innovation associated with bridge teaching or bridge promotion including but not limited to:
- Bridge teaching methods
- Reaching out to youth
- Teaching seniors
- Teaching material
- Course content and approach
- Promotion of bridge
- Promotion of teacher
- Use of the Internet
C. Service To Bridge (20%)
This will be based on evidence such as:
- promotion of bridge and their own services through newsletters, websites, columns in print media, TV, or internet
- role in organizing events for students but also for all players such as tournaments
- establishing or participating in programs to teach bridge to young people
- all attempts to build the bridge community, encourage participation in bridge games,
- tournaments, online and in person, membership in the ACBL or ABA
- mentoring including mentoring students or other teachers or directors
- building local bridge clubs and bridge games
- encouraging students to participate in tournaments and to travel to them if possible
- any and all efforts which will help to promote the game of bridge and/or the services of the teacher.
D. Service To The Community (5%)
- All volunteer activities but especially those related to bridge. This could include donating services in teaching or running games
- Organizing and participating in charitable events with a focus on those associated with bridge but other charity activities will be considered.
- All efforts associated with raising money for bridge (e.g. money for youth, international teams, promotion of bridge) etc.
- Any other demonstrable activities which help the community in which that person resides whether bridge related or not and whether paid or not.
Teacher of the Year 2014-2015 Committee: Larry Cohen, Tina Radding, Mary Jane Orock, Joyce Penn, Linda Lee, Nancy Abbott, Chairman.