How to Apply for the Master Teacher Program
- Confirm that you are eligible, by checking the Requirements for ABTA Master Teacher Candidates and the Bridge Knowledge questions below.
- Confirm that you have the expected level of bridge knowledge using the sample questions below
- Download, complete and submit the Master Teacher Application form. Application must be received 30 days prior to the start of the annual convention
- Once you’ve been accepted, for an interview, check the After You Apply Checklist below.
- At least 3 years of continuous ABTA membership.
- At least 100 hours of professional (for remuneration) bridge teaching experience.
- Attendance at a full ABTA Convention and Seminar.
- Successful completion of an interview with the Membership Credentials Committee.
Please note: The committee is often asked to make exceptions for candidates who are unable to meet one or more of the above requirements. In order to be fair to all, no exceptions can be made so please don’t ask
Fees for Candidates
The candidate is to submit $20 (at the time of the interview) to offset committee expenses. He/she, upon request shall be sent a pre-interview pre-test which may be used as a self-assessment tool to determine readiness for an interview.
Each candidate will be requested to sign a hold-harmless agreement indemnifying the ABTA and the membership Credentials committee from any future and third party claims resulting from examinees potential designation as a master teacher. the association makes no guarantee that the examinees will receive a master teacher designation by submitting to the testing and interview procedure." The above is taken from the amendments to the standing Rules and Regulations
Step 2: Check your Bridge Knowledge: Sample Questions
Because bridge knowledge is the most frequent reason for candidates not achieving the title, it is suggested that you check your own bridge knowledge before applying for Master Teacher. Sample questions similar to those that will be asked during your interview are available here. It is suggested that you review them to be sure that your bridge knowledge is sufficient to proceed with the application process. If you are still unsure, you may contact the program chair to request a voluntary pretest, which will be sent to you. The pretest questions are similar to those that will be asked during your interview. Potential applicants should be able to answer these questions without any consultation or research. After submitting your pretest, you will receive your results, and you can decide for yourself whether you wish to continue with the application process.
Master Teacher Application Form- Instructions:
Download the form below, complete the form in your PDF Reader program (Adobe, etc), save to your computer, and email the form (as an attachment) to the Program Chair. You may also print the form and mail it to the Program Chair. See form for full details. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact the Program Chair.
- Confirm your convention and hotel reservations (reserve at the host hotel early as rooms often fill up.) Out of town applicants should plan for arrival on the night before their interview.
- Read "The Interview Process" section fully and take lots of time to prepare
- If you have more questions about the Master Teacher Program, please contact Betty Starzec, Chair of the Membership Credential Committee, directly. Email: Lstarzec@comcast.net.
1414 Forest Bend Drive
Sugar Land, TX 77479